kasi pagkumakanta ang vocal nilang si jay contreras
ay siguradong mapapatalon ka at sa moves nyang matindi
|Origin||Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Years active||2000 – Present|
|Label(s)||Universal Records Philippines|
|Associated acts||Parokya ni Edgar|
Led Zeppelin Tuyay
Jason "Puto" Astete
Allan "Bords" Burdeos
Kamikazee is a rock band from the Philippines composed of Jay Contreras (lead vocalist), Jomal Linao (guitars/back-up vocals), Led Zeppelin Tuyay (guitars), Jason "Puto" Astete (bass) and Allan "Bords" Burdeos (drums).
The band is composed of five members who met in college at the College of Fine Arts of the University of the Philippines Diliman. Kamikazee's early gigs were mostly campus events in UP Diliman like the annual UP Fair. Before they were signed, they went by the name "Kamikazee Cornflakes", which was eventually shortened to its current state as "Kamikazee" was easier to remember. Their early shows included renditions of the songs "Tsinelas", a cover of Ariel Rivera's "Sana Kahit Minsan", and Britney Spears' Lucky. They were known for using expletives, suggestive movements, and references to genitalia in their UP Diliman performances.
Kamikazee released their first self titled album in 2002. The album's carrier single was a rock cover version of the Britney Spears song "Lucky". In 2005, the band released "Chiksilog" as part of the compilation album Rok On!. Other notable songs include "Girlfriend", "Ung Tagalog", "Tsinelas" and their cover song of Ariel Rivera's "Sana Kahit Minsan". In 2006 they released their second album, Maharot. The carrier single of the album was "Narda", which is thought to be about the fictional Filipina heroine Darna but is actually about a guy who is dreaming for a girl he couldn't reach. "Narda" was hugely popular in 2006, and was one of the most played rock songs on the radio that year.
The band maintains close ties with another popular Philippine band, Parokya ni Edgar (PNE). Chito Miranda, PNE's vocalist, met the band members in college as he was also studying in the College of Fine Arts. In events with Parokya ni Edgar on the line-up, one band's singer would normally jam with the other band. On Parokya ni Edgar's songs Jay frequently joined Chito Miranda on songs like "Okatokat", "Chikinini" and "The Yes Yes Show." Jay was the back-up vocals to PNE's hit song "The Order Taker" while Jomal was on lead guitars. In turn, Kaye Abad, Chito's girlfriend, was on back-up vocals in Kamikazee's song "Martyr Nyebera".
- Supersize Rock (Warner Music Philippines, 2004)
- Kami nAPO muna (Universal Records, 2006)
- The Biggest OPM Hits Of The Year SUPER (Universal Records, 2006)
- Rok On (Viva Records, 2005)
- Pinoy Ako 2 (Star Records, 2005)
- Palabas: The Best Of OPM TV & Movie Themes (Universal Records, 2006)
- Kami nAPO muna ulit (Universal Records, 2007)
- Another Biggest OPM Hits Of The Year SUPER 2 (Universal Records, 2007)
- Astig...The Biggest Band Hits (Universal Records, 2008)
Singles From The Album "Kamikazee (2002)"
From The Album "Maharot"
- "Ambisyoso" #8 Philippines
- "Narda" #1 Philippines (3 weeks)
- "First Day High"
- "Martyr Nyebera" #1 Philippines (2 weeks)
- "Seksi Seksi" #6 Philippines
- "Director's Cut" #7 Philippines
Other Singles From The Album "Kami nAPO Muna (2006)"
- "Doo Bidoo" #1 Philippines (3 weeks)
From The Album "Halina Sa Parokya (Parokya Ni Edgar Album)"
- "Ordertaker" - #5 Philippines
From The Album "ROK ON" (Philippine Ragnarok Online Soundtrack)
- "Mundo ng Komiks"